There are numerous different types of spa services in Thailand which focus heavily on Thai massage. They are categorized as massage for health, massage for beauty and traditional massage.
The myriad variety of spas in Thailand is quite phenomenal and is found at almost every destination in Thailand. They are:
– Destination spa, Destination spa, the famous destination spa in Thailand is no doubt, the one and only Chiva Som which attracts floods of visitors from all around the world who come to Thailand specifically to be pampered there.
– Hotel spas / Resort spas / Retreat spas: Popular spas like there can be found at the top hotels in the major tourists destinations such as: Phuket, Pattaya, Hua Hin, Bangkok, Ko Samui and Chiang Mai.
Popular Hotel and Resort Spas are:
- Bangkok – The Oriental, Imperial Queen’s Park, JW Marriott Hotel, Marriott Royal Garden Riverside, The Regent Bangkok, Peninsula Bangkok, Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, Sofitel Central Plaza, Thavorn Beach Village, The Westin Banyan Tree
- Phuket – Amanpuri Resort, Banyan Tree Phuket, Central Karon Village, Diamond Cliff Resort & Spa, Dusit Laguna Resort Hotel, The Evason Phuket, Pearl Village, Sheraton Grande Laguna Phuket
- Koh Samui – Central Samui Beach Resort, Central Samui Village, Health Oasis Resort, The Samui Dharma Healing Center, Santiburi Dusit Resort, The Spa Resort and Health Center, Tamarind Retreat
- Pattaya – Central Wong Amat Beach Resort, Royal Cliff Beach Resort
- Hua Hin – Chiva-Som, Melia Hua Hin, The Evason Hua Hin, Royal Garden Resort, Royal Garden Village, Sofitel Central Hua Hin Resort
- Chiang Mai – The Regent Resort Chiang Mai (Lanna Spa)
– Day / City spas are located in the center of the major towns, Bangkok particularly. They are aimed at business folk who have been stressed out because of their rushing serious life-styles. It may take only 30 minutes or one hour.
– Club spas emphasize on strong body through different facilities being massage, steaming and sauna, hot and cold Jacuzzi, yoga and other physical exercises without a stay at the provider’s place.
– Cruise ship spas are popular in Thailand with the older generation who wish for not a spa but also the views of the sea and a breath of fresh air. There is also a healthy Thai Spa diet for passengers during the voyage.
– Home / Mobile spas are spas in Thailand where the trainer visits the client and not the other way around, beats having to travel through the busy streets of Bangkok.
– Hospital / Medical spas are provided in Thailand’s top hospitals. They are popular patients who are being treated in the hospital.
– Fusion spas are popular with hip Thai and foreign people who want to try out the latest most fashionable type of spa.
– Theme spas are in the form of Thai-style parks, gardens or parties.
– Genuine spas are the type of spas where their themes are deeply rooted in Thai Buddhism and its cultures and traditions.
– Mineral spring spas attract those who have an infatuation for Thai mineral water and its various minerals.
– Detoxicating spas are popular with Bangkokians whose body has suffered due to unhealthy urban life-styles.
Popular Spa Treatments in Thailand
Centuries worth of tradition have devised a myriad of different methods to ease the mind and make one feel a whole lot better. They include: pastes, mudpacks, specialized oils, muscle kneading and water jets. More of them are:
Body scrub which includes
- Honey scrub
- Herbal slat scrub
- Vegetable body scrub
- Loofah scrub
- Lavender and apricot scrub
- Royal lotus scrub
- Wasabi scrub
- Chocolate scrub
- Fruit scrub
Body Wraps: the techniques include:
- Red clay body wrap
- Dead sea and caramel body wrap
- Algae body wrap
- Sun soother body wrap
- Vegetable body wrap
- Royal lotus body wrap
- Royal lotus body wrap
- Wasabi body wrap
Facial by the use of different types of products such as creams, gels, serums, electrical currents, oils and oxygen jets.
Hands and feet: There are three different types of techniques available in Thailand to both enhance the appearance and health of the hands and feet. There is a manicure (appearance), pedicure (health) and “happy feet” (health). The latter of which can be used to treat dry, tired or anti-bacteria feet which have been worn down due to Thailand’s streets and hot and wet climate.
Waxing by using depilatory or shaved cream. There are different types of waxing available in Thailand, they include:
- Brazillian waxing, Bikini and Male genital waxing
- Underarm or arm waxing
- Foot waxing
- Full wax
- Eyebrow waxing
- Back waxing
- Complete body wax
- Chest waxing
Massages A massage is the most popular technique offered at spas in Thailand. The stats coming out of Thai spas conclude that 85% of the treatments given are massage. There are however, many different types of massage.
Thai massage is by far and away the most popular type of massage provided by Thai trainers. Many of the clients feel satisfies in the knowledge that the massage they received was traditionally authentic, unlike perhaps the “Thai” massage they are used to back home.
Other types of massage available in Thailand include:
- Swedish massage
- Aromatherapy massage
- Ayurvedic massage
- Craniosacral massage
- Deep tissue massage
- Lymphatic massage
- Sports massage
- Stone massage
Alternatives: There are two types of alternatives:
- Hydrotherapy Bath: For e.g. Jacuzzi
- Inhalation Therapy: where the saunas or steam rooms are scented with oils or herbs.
- Vichy Shower
Other Types of Treatment
- Signature Treatments
Spa Per individual has soared in popularity in recent years in Thailand. The individual spas available in Thailand include:
- Spa for Women is popular with both local and foreign women who prefer the company of people of their own sex. They are excellent places for meeting new friends
- Spa for men is popular with both local and foreign gay men who prefer the company of people of their own sex. They are excellent places for meeting new friends
- Spa for couples attracts mainly foreign couples who are on holiday in Thailand together. They offer a good way to rejuvenate that relationship.
- Spa for mom attracts mainly local Thai women who have been feeling wear and tear of both mind and body.